Wednesday 26 June 2013

Monks Wood 26/06/2013

After a couple of years trying to see Black Hairstreak at several sites, this year the waiting finally paid off. I had been a few times to the wood in the days preceding, but then saw a report on the local Butterfly Conservation site that they had been spotted, so I went early on the 26th hoping to finally see them. 

I was met there by local enthusiasts and experts Phil, Rosalyn and Nick, and they patiently showed me the most likely spots and pointed them out when my eyes couldn't locate them first off. I am really grateful to them for all the help and advice they gave, and it was really great to spend time with people who share a passion for Butterflies. 

Reasonably early on I caught my first glimpse, but getting close and ready for a photo was very tricky. I eventually got a few shots but not of great quality, but I was still really pleased to have something to show I'd seen them! Also I was interested to see that when they bask on leaves, they often lean right over almost horizontally to gather as much heat as they can, which also makes photographing them even harder!

Also Monks has a few Greater Butterfly Orchids which I was really pleased to see for the first time.

Species seen - 

Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Black Hairstreak
Comma
Large Skipper

Common Spotted Orchid
Greater Butterfly Orchid

Black Hairstreak


Black Hairstreak lying down



? Caterpillar any suggestions welcome


Greater Butterfly Orchid


Common Spotted Orchid


No comments:

Post a Comment